Your privacy is important to us. It is Lust Nerd’s policy to respect your privacy and comply with any applicable law and regulation regarding any personal information we may collect about you, including across our website, https://lustnerd.com, and other sites we own and operate.
Personal information is any information about you which can be used to identify you. This includes information about you as a person (such as name, address, and date of birth), your devices, payment details, and even information about how you use a website or online service.
This policy is effective as of 21 September 2023
Last updated: 21 September 2023
Information We Collect
Information we collect falls into one of two categories: “voluntarily provided” information and “automatically collected” information.
“Voluntarily provided” information refers to any information you knowingly and actively provide us when using or participating in any of our services and promotions.
“Automatically collected” information refers to any information automatically sent by your devices in the course of accessing our products and services.
When you visit our website, our servers may automatically log the standard data provided by your web browser. It may include your device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type and version, the pages you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on each page, and other details about your visit.
Additionally, if you encounter certain errors while using the site, we may automatically collect data about the error and the circumstances surrounding its occurrence. This data may include technical details about your device, what you were trying to do when the error happened, and other technical information relating to the problem. You may or may not receive notice of such errors, even in the moment they occur, that they have occurred, or what the nature of the error is.
Please be aware that while this information may not be personally identifying by itself, it may be possible to combine it with other data to personally identify individual persons.
When you visit our website or interact with our services, we may automatically collect data about your device, such as:
- Device type
- Operating system
- Geo-location data
Data we collect can depend on the individual settings of your device and software. We recommend checking the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider to learn what information they make available to us.
We may ask for personal information — for example, when you subscribe to our newsletter or when you contact us — which may include one or more of the following:
- Phone/mobile number
- Home/mailing address
We consider “user-generated content” to be reviews, ratings, image, and/or video materials voluntarily supplied to us by our users for the purpose of publication on our website or re-publishing on our social media channels. All user-generated content is associated with the account or email address used to submit the materials.
Legitimate Reasons for Processing Your Personal Information
We only collect and use your personal information when we have a legitimate reason for doing so. In which instance, we only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary to provide our services to you.
Collection and Use of Information
We may collect personal information from you when you do any of the following on our website:
- Register for an account
- Purchase any products and/or services
- Purchase a subscription
- Sign up to receive updates from us via email or social media channels
- Use a mobile device or web browser to access our content
- Contact us via email, social media, or on any similar technologies
- When you mention us on social media
We may collect, hold, use, and disclose information for the following purposes, and personal information will not be further processed in a manner that is incompatible with these purposes:
- to provide you with our platform’s core features and services
- to enable you to customize or personalize your experience of our website
- to process any transactional or ongoing payments
- to deliver products and/or services to you
- to contact and communicate with you
- for analytics, market research, and business development, including to operate and improve our website, associated applications, and associated social media platforms
- for advertizing and marketing, including to send you promotional information about our products and services and information about third parties that we consider may be of interest to you
- to attribute any content (e.g. posts and comments) you submit that we publish on our website
We may combine voluntarily provided and automatically collected personal information with general information or research data we receive from other trusted sources. For example, if you provide us with your location, we may combine this with general information about currency and language to provide you with an enhanced experience of our site and service.
Security of Your Personal Information
When we collect and process personal information, and while we retain this information, we will protect it within commercially acceptable means to prevent loss and theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
Although we will do our best to protect the personal information you provide to us, we advise that no method of electronic transmission or storage is 100% secure and no one can guarantee absolute data security.
You are responsible for selecting any password and its overall security strength, ensuring the security of your own information within the bounds of our services. For example, ensuring any passwords associated with accessing your personal information and accounts are secure and confidential.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
However, if necessary, we may retain your personal information for our compliance with a legal, accounting, or reporting obligation or for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific, or historical research purposes or statistical purposes.
We do not aim any of our products or services directly at children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information about children under 13.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- a parent, subsidiary or affiliate of our company
- third-party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services, including (without limitation) IT service providers, data storage, hosting and server providers, ad networks, analytics, error loggers, debt collectors, maintenance or problem-solving providers, marketing providers, professional advisors, and payment systems operators
- our employees, contractors, and/or related entities
- our existing or potential agents or business partners
- credit reporting agencies, courts, tribunals, and regulatory authorities, in the event you fail to pay for goods or services we have provided to you
- courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities, and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights
- third parties, including agents or sub-contractors who assist us in providing information, products, services, or direct marketing to you
- third parties to collect and process data
- an entity that buys, or to which we transfer all or substantially all of our assets and business
Third parties we currently use include:
- Google Analytics
Your Rights and Controlling Your Personal Information
Marketing permission: If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by contacting us using the details below.
Access: You may request details of the personal information that we hold about you.
Non-discrimination: We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights over your personal information. Unless your personal information is required to provide you with a particular service or offer (for example processing and fulfilling orders), we will not deny you goods or services and/or charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties, or provide you with a different level or quality of goods or services.
Notification of data breaches: We will comply with laws applicable to us in respect of any data breach.
Complaints: If you believe that we have breached a relevant data protection law and wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the alleged breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint. You also have the right to contact a regulatory body or data protection authority in relation to your complaint.
If we or our assets are acquired, or in the unlikely event that we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, we would include data, including your personal information, among the assets transferred to any parties who acquire us. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any parties who acquire us may, to the extent permitted by applicable law, continue to use your personal information according to this policy, which they will be required to assume as it is the basis for any ownership or use rights we have over such information.
Limits of Our Policy
Our website may link to external sites that are not operated by us. Please be aware that we have no control over the content and policies of those sites, and cannot accept responsibility or liability for their respective privacy practices.
Changes to This Policy
If the changes are significant, or if required by applicable law, we will contact you (based on your selected preferences for communications from us) and all our registered users with the new details and links to the updated or changed policy.
If required by law, we will get your permission or give you the opportunity to opt in to or opt out of, as applicable, any new uses of your personal information.
Additional Disclosures for General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Compliance (EU)
Data Controller / Data Processor
The GDPR distinguishes between organisations that process personal information for their own purposes (known as “data controllers”) and organisations that process personal information on behalf of other organisations (known as “data processors”). We, Lust Nerd, located at the address provided in our Contact Us section, are a Data Controller with respect to the personal information you provide to us.
Legal Bases for Processing Your Personal Information
We will only collect and use your personal information when we have a legal right to do so. In which case, we will collect and use your personal information lawfully, fairly, and in a transparent manner. If we seek your consent to process your personal information, and you are under 16 years of age, we will seek your parent or legal guardian’s consent to process your personal information for that specific purpose.
Our lawful bases depend on the services you use and how you use them. This means we only collect and use your information on the following grounds:
Consent From You
Performance of a Contract or Transaction
Where you have entered into a contract or transaction with us, or in order to take preparatory steps prior to our entering into a contract or transaction with you. For example, if you purchase a product, service, or subscription from us, we may need to use your personal and payment information in order to process and deliver your order.
Our Legitimate Interests
Where we assess it is necessary for our legitimate interests, such as for us to provide, operate, improve and communicate our services. We consider our legitimate interests to include research and development, understanding our audience, marketing and promoting our services, measures taken to operate our services efficiently, marketing analysis, and measures taken to protect our legal rights and interests.
Compliance with Law
International Transfers Outside of the European Economic Area (EEA)
We will ensure that any transfer of personal information from countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) to countries outside the EEA will be protected by appropriate safeguards, for example by using standard data protection clauses approved by the European Commission, or the use of binding corporate rules or other legally accepted means.
Your Rights and Controlling Your Personal Information
Restrict: You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information if (i) you are concerned about the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) you believe your personal information has been unlawfully processed; (iii) you need us to maintain the personal information solely for the purpose of a legal claim; or (iv) we are in the process of considering your objection in relation to processing on the basis of legitimate interests.
Objecting to processing: You have the right to object to processing of your personal information that is based on our legitimate interests or public interest. If this is done, we must provide compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which overrides your interests, rights, and freedoms, in order to proceed with the processing of your personal information.
Data portability: You may have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. Where possible, we will provide this information in CSV format or other easily readable machine format. You may also have the right to request that we transfer this personal information to a third party.
Deletion: You may have a right to request that we delete the personal information we hold about you at any time, and we will take reasonable steps to delete your personal information from our current records. If you ask us to delete your personal information, we will let you know how the deletion affects your use of our website or products and services. There may be exceptions to this right for specific legal reasons which, if applicable, we will set out for you in response to your request. If you terminate or delete your account, we will delete your personal information within 30 days of the deletion of your account. Please be aware that search engines and similar third parties may still retain copies of your personal information that has been made public at least once, like certain profile information and public comments, even after you have deleted the information from our services or deactivated your account.
Additional Disclosures for California Compliance (US)
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, if you live in California and your business relationship with us is mainly for personal, family, or household purposes, you may ask us about the information we release to other organizations for their marketing purposes.
Do Not Track
Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. At this time, we do not respond to browser “Do Not Track” signals.
CCPA-permitted financial incentives
In accordance with your right to non-discrimination, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels for the goods or services we provide.
Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to the value of your personal information, and we will provide written terms that describe clearly the nature of such an offer. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt-in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
California Notice of Collection
In the past 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information enumerated in the California Consumer Privacy Act:
- Identifiers, such as name, email address, phone number, account name, IP address, and an ID or number assigned to your account.
- Customer records, such as billing and shipping address, and credit or debit card data.
- Commercial information, such as products or services history and purchases.
- Geolocation data.
For more information on information we collect, including the sources we receive information from, review the “Information We Collect” section. We collect and use these categories of personal information for the business purposes described in the “Collection and Use of Information” section, including to provide and manage our Service.
Right to Know and Delete
If you are a California resident, you have rights to delete your personal information we collected and know certain information about our data practices in the preceding 12 months. In particular, you have the right to request the following from us:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information was collected;
- The categories of personal information about you we disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- The categories of third parties to whom the personal information was disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
Shine the Light
If you are a California resident, in addition to the rights discussed above, you have the right to request information from us regarding the manner in which we share certain personal information as defined by California’s “Shine the Light” with third parties and affiliates for their own direct marketing purposes.
Additional Disclosures for Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) Compliance (Canada)
Additional scope of personal information
In accordance with PIPEDA, we broaden our definition of personal information to include any information about an individual, such as financial information, information about your appearance, your views and opinion (such as those expressed online or through a survey), opinions held about you by others, and any personal correspondences you may have with us. While this information may not directly identify you, be aware that it may be combined with other information to do so.
Where you give us consent to collect and use your personal information for a specific purpose. You may withdraw your consent at any time using the facilities we provide; however this will not affect any use of your information that has already taken place. When you contact us, we assume your consent based on your positive action of contact, therefore you consent to your name and email address being used so we can respond to your enquiry. Under PIPEDA, consent is only valid if it is reasonable to expect that an individual to whom the organization’s activities are directed would understand the nature, purpose, and consequences of the collection, use, or disclosure of the personal information to which they are consenting.
Where you agree to receive marketing communications from us, we will do so based solely on your indication of consent or until you instruct us not to, which you can do at any time.
International Transfers of Information
While Lust Nerd endeavors to keep, store and handle customer data within locations in Canada, it may use agents or service providers located in the United States (U.S.), European Economic Area (EEA) or United Kingdom (UK) to collect, use, retain and process personal information as part of providing services to you. While we use all reasonable efforts to ensure that personal information receives the same level of security in any other jurisdiction as it would in Canada, please be aware that privacy protections under U.S. laws may not be the same adequacy.
Customer Data Rights
Although PIPEDA does not contain an extensive set of consumer rights, it does grant consumers the right to:
- Access the personal information organizations hold about them;
- Correct any inaccurate or outdated personal information the organization hold about them (or, if this is not possible, delete the inaccurate personal information)
- Withdraw consent for any activities for which they have consented (e.g. direct marketing or cookies
Right to Withdraw Consent
Where you give us consent to collect and use your personal information for a specific purpose. Subject to some restrictions, you can, at any time, refuse to consent, or continue to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of their personal information by notifying us using the email address below in the ‘Contact Us’ section. Withdrawal of consent may impact our ability to provide or continue to provide services.
Customers cannot refuse collection, use and disclosure of their personal information if such information is required to:
- be collected, used or disclosed as required by any law;
- fulfill the terms of any contractual agreement; and
- be collected, used or disclosed as required by any regulators including self regulatory organizations
Right of Access under PIPEDA
PIPEDA gives you a general right to access the PII held by businesses subject to this law. Under PIPEDA, you need to make your access request in writing and pay a minimal fee of $30.00.
If any organizational fees seem unjust, you have the right to complain about this. We retain the right to decide how we disclose the copies of your PII to you. We will take all necessary measures to fulfill your request in 30 days from receipt, otherwise we must inform you of our inability to do so before the 30-day timeframe if:
- meeting the time limit would unreasonably interfere with our business activities; or
- the time required to undertake consultations necessary to respond to the request would make it impractical to meet the time limit.
We can also extend the time limit for the length of time required to convert the personal information into an alternative format. In these circumstances, we will advise you of the delay within the first 30 days and explain the reason for it.
Right of rectification under PIPEDA
You may request a correction to any factual errors or omissions within your PII. We would ask you to provide some evidence to back up your claim. Under PIPEDA, an organization must amend the information, as required, if you successfully demonstrate that it’s incomplete or inaccurate.
If we cannot agree on changing the information, you have the right to have your concerns recorded with the Office of the Privacy Commission of Canada.
Compliance with PIPEDA’s Ten Principles of Privacy
- Accountability. Lust Nerd is responsible for the PII under its control and will designate one or more persons to ensure organizational accountability for compliance with the ten principles of privacy under PIPEDA, whose details are included below. All personnel are accountable for the protection of customers’ personal information.
- Identifying purposes. Lust Nerd identifies the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
- Consent. Consent is required for Lust Nerd’s collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where required or permitted by PIPEDA or other law. In addition, when customers access a product or service offered by us, consent is deemed to be granted. Express consent may be obtained verbally, in writing or through electronic means. Alternatively, consent may be implied through the actions of customers or continued use of a product or service following Lust Nerd’s notification of changes.
- Limiting collection. Personal information collected will be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by Lust Nerd.
- Limiting use, disclosure and retention. We will not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which the information was collected, except with your consent or as required by law. We will retain personal information only for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purposes for collecting such information and compliance with any legal requirements.
- Accuracy. Personal information will be maintained by Lust Nerd in an accurate, complete and up-to-date format as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which the personal information was collected.
- Safeguards. We will protect personal information with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of such information.
- Openness. We will make our policies and practices relating to the collection and management of personal information readily available upon request, including our brochures or other information that explain our policies, standards, or codes.
- Customer access. We will inform customers of the existence, use and disclosure of their personal information and will provide access to their personal information, subject to any legal restrictions. We may require written requests for access to personal information and in most cases, will respond within 30 days of receipt of such requests. Customers may verify the accuracy and completeness of their personal information, and may request the personal information be corrected or updated, if appropriate.
Our email interactions with our customers are compliant with Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation. The Company does not send unsolicited email to persons with whom we have no relationship. We will not sell personal information, such as email addresses, to unrelated third-parties. On occasion, your personal information may be provided to our third-party partners to administer the products and services you request from us.
When you leave our website by linking to another website, you are subject to the privacy and security policies of the new website. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of all websites you visit, especially if you share any personal information with them.
Enquiries, Reports and Escalation
If we fail to resolve your concern to your satisfaction, you may also contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada:
30, Victoria Street
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 1H3
Toll Free: 1.800.282.1376
For any questions or concerns regarding your privacy, you may contact us using the following details:
legal (at sign) lustnerd.com